Autumn Meadowhawk

I met this Autumn Meadowhawk (surprise!) ... last autumn!

I was starting to worry that I'd go the entire season without seeing 1 of these, then 1 Saturday 1 of the Duke Farms educators spotted this 1 on the lawn (and adjacent to a meadow).

It obviously wasn't a mature male since they're a rich red color. With a side view I would be better able to tell you whether this is a female or an immature male. Unfortunately I couldn't/didn't get a picture from that angle, but I think I see a hint of a subgenital plate near the rear of the abdomen, so I'm leaning towards this being a female.

November 12, 2022 at Duke Farms
Photo 251084548, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures