The Hermits of Sourland

Last year in mid-April I met Hermit Thrushes at Washington Valley Park; this year I met (presumably other) Hermit Thrushes at Sourland Mountain Preserve at about the same time of year. My resources (All About Birds and 2 field guides) suggest I might be seeing them as they migrate through my area [1]; their maps imply their breeding range starts at northern NJ and continues northward [2].

It's a little unfortunate that Hermit Thrushes generally can't be heard without venturing into the woods; they're considered to be some of the best singers out there. 

April 14, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 272130180, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

April 14, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 272130437, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] My title of "The Hermits of Sourland" might suggest more permanence than is warranted if the birds are just passing through.

[2] It's possible my field guides are getting to be out-of-date. As temperatures warm, some highly mobile animals like birds may have their breeding ranges drift northward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures