Autumn Meadowhawk

Here's an Autumn Meadowhawk I met well into last autumn. While the males usually get attention from their bright red coloring, females like this one are more of a yellowish tan color. Besides being the most common dragonflies around well into autumn, these dragonflies are also known for their tan legs.

The last time I showed one of these dragonflies I said I thought it was an immature male - they do look similar to adult females - but that I suspected it was a male due to the lack of what's called a subgenital plate. In today's picture, the subgenital plate is actually visible protruding down near the end of the abdomen.

November 10, 2021 at Duke Farms
Photo 169043854, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures