Blue Jay With Something of Value

This Blue Jay had something in its mouth. I'm not sure what it was, but as you can see in the 2nd picture, the Blue Jay wasn't willing to share it with me.

I can't tell what it's got in its bill. It appears that the item is blurrier than the Blue Jay; I think this can happen what the item is fluffy/furry. My primary theories are:

  • Something soft for lining the interior of a nest.
  • Or perhaps it's a pupa of an insect that the Blue Jay intends to eat.
So I guess my theories are that this is either food or shelter. Note this isn't the 1st time I've seen Blue Jays with food or building material.
May 25, 2023 at Duke Farms
Photo 292819158, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

May 25, 2023 at Duke Farms
Photo 292819185, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures