Eastern Chipmunk Cedes the Trail

This Eastern Chipmunk decided to go off-trail when it saw me coming down said trail. Given that I weigh probably 550 times as much as the chipmunk, this would be similar to me getting out of the way of a 39 ton Humpback Whale; even if the large animal has no ill intentions, it's not a bad idea to cede the area to avoid accidental injury.

Though small and wary animals, these guys are common enough that I've gotten quite a few pictures of them. Although they're not a classic swamp creature, Great Swamp has quite a few arboreal areas adjacent to their swampier areas. I wouldn't be surprised if this particular spot floods occasionally, but it was dry enough on this visit.

May 11, 2023 at Great Swamp
Photo 282421831, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures