Toads in Breeding Season

I have to admit I wasn't sure what I was seeing at a Sourland Mountain Preserve pond around mid-April. Although I frequently see toads (both American and Fowler's), I usually see them dry and away from water; seeing these toads all glisteny in the water did have me wondering if I was seeing a frog instead. Still, our toads begin life in the water, and that's also where their parents "got together". And on this day the pond was a regular Toad Single's Bar of toads looking to breed [1].

I also have to admit that although iNaturalist has IDed them as American Toads, looking at them right now it's difficult to make a case distinguishing them from Fowler's Toads. Still:

  • The views don't give a good view of the number of warts/blotch on their backs,
  • And the views also aren't ideal for telling whether the ridge between the eyes and their (protruding) paratoid glands touches the glands.
  • In my defense, to get those better views I probably would have needed to go into the water, and this probably would have caused the toads to flee.

 The 1st shows the toad vocalizing as it takes a lot of air into its throat and then releases it. (FWIW American Toads and Fowler's Toads sound different; unfortunately I don't remember the sound they were making.)

April 14, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 272128570, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

The 2nd shows more of the body of the toad.

April 14, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 272131598, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)
 

[1] Breeding toads should not be confused with "horny toads".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures