Fowler's Toad

Toads are always a welcome amphibian encounter when outdoors, so I was happy to meet this Fowler's Toad. I don't run into a lot of them a lot, though I suspect they'll sometimes catch some valuable sunlight by venturing out onto trails and roads. 

I've gone into details on identifying these toads, so read this if you're trying to distinguish Fowler's Toads from their very similar American Toad cousins. If you can't get a good look and need to guess, I do think there are more Fowler's Toads in this area; the actuarial tables suggest that you saw a Fowler. But don't feel too cocky; there are plenty of American Toads around too.

While this is clearly an adult toad, I did meet a young toadlet a year or so ago. As is typical, the toad started off like it was going to hop away, but then stopped and let me get pictures.

July 2, 2022 at Duke Farms
Photo 221312132, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures