Distant Bald Eagle

I know many people are bothered by their weight, but there are benefits to bringing binoculars when you're out in nature. Without binoculars, I could only have suspected that the top of a tree looked unusually lumpy. With binoculars, I could actually identify that a Bald Eagle was perched at the top [1]. (My recollection is that there was a family there who just had to take my word for it that there was an eagle up there.)

This was taken at the end of a Great Swamp trail that overlooked part of the swamp. I've seen eagles there before, though they've been across the water and pretty distant. I think I heard the eagle nest that used to be there was blown down, though I wouldn't be surprised if eagles nested in this vicinity this year. (I'm not sure how many fish are in Great Swamp, but Bald Eagles will also eat turtles and snakes, both of which are pretty abundant there.)

April 13, 2023 at Great Swamp
Photo 272120475, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


[1] One good thing about my current camera is that if I can get a decent look at something with my binoculars, there's a good chance I'll be able to get a decent picture of it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures