Beaver Dams Walkway

After being told about it, I took this picture of a Fairview Farm walkway that was apparently "dammed" by an American Beaver. Although this now looks like some sort of rodent-esque obsessive-compulsive disorder, I suppose I should acknowledge that it's possible that a small amount of water might flow down this trail when we get a sufficient amount of rain [1].

My suspicion is that this dam wasn't particularly effective at curbing water flow; the boards are slightly elevated, and unless the beaver stuffed sticks under the boards in addition to on top of them [2], I'd expect water to continue to flow. 

To the right of this picture there's a small (possibly man-made) pond where the beaver presumably lives/works. Unfortunately the beaver itself wasn't available for a photo-op.

June 21, 2023 at Fairview Farm

[1] The boards are presumably there so people can avoid the worst of the mud when things get wet here.

[2] I didn't think to examine the bottom of the dam closely, though it looked like most of the sticks were placed on the boards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures