American Bullfrog

Though I got some pictures of Wood Frogs earlier in the season and had been hearing the small/elusive Spring Peepers about that time, it was only about 5 weeks ago that I started seeing one of our most visible frogs, the American Bullfrogs.

I've talked before about how to differentiate them from their Green Frog cousins (hint: it's all about the dorsolateral ridges), a fairly similar frog that starts appearing about the same time of year.

This wasn't my first bullfrog picture of the season but was one of the most handsome. I think they tend to look a little discolored and emaciated very early in the spring. A few weeks later they seem to regain their plumper and greener appearance.

May 13, 2022 at Duke Farms
Photo 199462915, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

By way of comparison, here's one of the 1st pictures I got last year.
April 13, 2021 at Delaware Raritan Canal
Photo 121031804, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)



Comments

  1. American boogie band Canned Heat's take on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwGrXnbMUw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've woken up thinking about bullfrogs specifically, but animals that escaped my efforts to photograph them are a recurring dream theme.

      Delete
  2. And the fine studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dll9its0Jj0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures