Swimming Muskrat

Last March I briefly met this Muskrat who appeared to be foraging in the river on the outskirts of Duke Island Park. I don't encounter Muskrats all that often, though sometimes they seem fairly tolerant of humans. As always, I try and get a look at the tail to make sure I'm not seeing a smallish American Beaver.

This Muskrat swam past me twice and didn't seem very concerned about my presence, making it much easier to get some pictures.

They do have lodges similar to beavers, though it doesn't sound like they store food in them like beavers do. They don't hibernate, and it sounds like they generally forage for food throughout the winter, though in a pinch they might eat part of their lodge. (This sounds like a desperate measure to me, trading off shelter for food.) 

March 16, 2023 at Duke Island Park
Photo 267709653, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures