Rooftop Turkey Vultures

I met these Turkey Vultures by just walking out of my apartment. (I theoretically could have gotten a picture without going outside, but that extra layer of glass can degrade picture quality a little.)

Although they don't show up on these rooftops daily, they're not an uncommon visitor to my apartment complex. Similar to this spot of the woods, I wouldn't expect this to be a great place to find carcasses. I'm thinking they're here mostly because:

  • They don't have to worry much about predators up there.
  • They get a pretty good view of the area in case something should happen to succumb. (This apartment was near the top of a hill, providing a better view than most of the other apartments.)
  • Since this picture was from February, it's probably a slightly warmer spot, especially near those furnace vent pipes.
Although these are Turkey Vultures, it's also not unusual to see Black Vultures up there too.

February 28, 2023 at Finderne
Photo 264703396, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird