Perched Bald Eagle

Here's someone I met last October that ought to be familiar to almost everyone, a Bald Eagle. This is also perhaps the closest I've been to a wild Bald Eagle [1] (though this pair was also fairly close). While I didn't consider myself especially close, the eagle did fly off after a few minutes; it's possible my presence instigated the departure [2].

This eagle was near water, and thus near fish. Behind the eagle was Duke Farms' Vista Lake, where herons, cormorants, and Ospreys get their fish procurement done. Still, I don't often see Bald Eagles on the property; my guess is they prefer fishing in the Raritan River instead.

Duke Farms has Bald Eagles that nest on the property; I don't know if this was either of them. 

November 2, 2022 at Duke Farms
Photo 250356447, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] You can certainly get closer to them at The Raptor Trust, and the Delaware Valley Raptor Center used to give presentations where eagles would be in the room with you.

[2] I would have needed to machete my way through brush (possible) and then climb the tree (highly improbable) to confront the eagle. The eagle almost certainly overestimated my threat potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures