Common Green Darner

Here's a Common Green Darner I met last autumn. Though this is considered to be one of the most common/abundant dragonflies in NJ and the rest of North America, I've rarely gotten pictures of them. (This suggests I should probably be expanding the locations I tend to visit. Different places can have different fauna. FWIW the only other kind of darner I've photographed was a Fawn Darner.)

You should be able to see a small black dot on the front of the face that's almost completely surrounded by a blue circle. This is considered a good field mark for IDing the Common Green Darner.

It looks like the sides of this dragonfly are turning bluish; I believe that means this is a nearly mature male.

October 20, 2022 at Duke Farms
Photo 250355089, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures