Juvenile Painted Turtle

I don't remember exactly how small this Painted Turtle was, but I remember thinking it had to be pretty young to be that small. (I can assure you that the turtle isn't on a fallen Giant Sequoia tree.) My impression is that pet Painted Turtles can grow 3" in their 1st year, and then their growth rate slows down to more like 0.5" per year. But wild Painted Turtles probably don't grow much in the winter while brumating, so their growth rate is probably slower. I wouldn't be surprised if this turtle hatched in the fall of 2021.

The scutes on the carapace also look a little funky; I suspect this turtle is shedding scutes as it grows.

My impression, backed up by no data, is that juvenile turtles are a little less likely to dive into the water as I approach. I'm not sure why that would be. Perhaps younger turtles need the sunlight more, or maybe they're young and reckless enough to risk having me around.

July 15, 2022 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 221321130, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures