Common Yellowthroat

Here's a bird I hadn't seen in a while before meeting one late this June, a Common Yellowthroat. The yellowthroats are a genus of warbler, and despite my field guide's views on their abundance (and despite their name) this is only the 4th picture I've gotten of them [1]. And even if they're fairly common, my Sibley field guide describes them as "secretive" while the All About Birds webpage accuses them of "skulking". Fortunately this fella was desperate enough for companionship that he was singing right out in the open.

I've had even worse luck with relatives of the Common Yellowthroat. Even though Kentucky Warblers potentially breed around here, and Mourning Warblers will at least migrate through the region, I've yet to get a picture of either. (While both those birds are categorized as yellowthroats, only the Kentucky Warbler has as yellow a throat as the Common Yellowthroat; the throats of the Mourning Warbler seem to go gray by adulthood.)

June 29, 2022 at Duke Farms
Photo 211850715, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] Difficulties finding Common Yellowthroats might be a downside to getting laid off by Nokia; 2 of my pictures were taken during after-lunch walks through the nearby woods/fields.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures