Northern Two-lined Salamander

Here's a type of wildlife I don't often run across, a salamander. While I encounter frogs quite a bit and sometimes have a nice run on toads, their fellow amphibians aren't seen by me very often. I suspect that getting salamander pictures is more of a 2-person job, where 1 person lifts a log or rock while the other snaps pictures. Since I'm typically by myself when out in nature, I don't really try for them very often. This little fella was the rare salamander that was right out in the open.

I believe this to be the Northern Two-lined Salamander even though you can only see the black line that runs down the left side of its back. (Admittedly the black lines in my field guide are more prominent than this.) This species is known to come out in the open like this, especially if the area is warm/damp. The picture was taken in early June in a typically muddy area near a brook.

Though tiny and harmless looking to me, if you're a small enough terrestrial invertebrate this guy might scare you silly; small invertebrates are definitely on its menu.

June 7, 2022 at Washington Valley Park
Photo 209833831, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures