The Hawk and the Sparrow
I took these pictures 40 minutes apart and in somewhat different areas, so these individuals many have never met (which would be fortunate for one of them).
And following that, I spotted one of our most commonly seen sparrows, a Song Sparrow.
There's no chance of these guys being friends, though the Red-tail probably does like Song Sparrows as a side order. My impression is that Red-tails aren't maneuverable enough to rely on catching passerines (and similarly-sized birds like woodpeckers and pigeons), though if they can get the drop on an unwary one they won't hesitate to do so. I'd expect the Red-tail to have more hunting success with rabbits, rodents, and maybe some snakes or turtles.
First, here's a picture of one of our most commonly seen large birds, a Red-tailed Hawk.
| July 25, 2021 at Duke Farms Photo 148652475, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC) |
And following that, I spotted one of our most commonly seen sparrows, a Song Sparrow.
| July 25, 2021 at Duke Farms Photo 148652819, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC) |
There's no chance of these guys being friends, though the Red-tail probably does like Song Sparrows as a side order. My impression is that Red-tails aren't maneuverable enough to rely on catching passerines (and similarly-sized birds like woodpeckers and pigeons), though if they can get the drop on an unwary one they won't hesitate to do so. I'd expect the Red-tail to have more hunting success with rabbits, rodents, and maybe some snakes or turtles.
In its own way, the Song Sparrow is also a fierce, terrifying predator ... if you're among the weevils, leaf beetles, ground beetles, caterpillars, dragonflies, damselflies, grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, midges, craneflies, spiders, snails, and earthworms.
Comments
Post a Comment