Green Heron

On Memorial Day I was leaving Duke Farms when I spotted something in Dukes Brook. It turned out to be this Green Heron fishing amid the grass. (I'm calling this fishing, though I have no doubt that frogs and other small animal life were on the menu.)

Most of the time I don't find Green Herons to be forest green or leprechaun green but something more like a turquoise or teal color. The coloring of this heron is bluer than I'd usually expect, though it's possible that late-day shadows and/or molting are playing into the appearance.

If you know where to look, I'm told there are quite a few Green Herons living on the property this summer.

May 31, 2021 at Duke Farms
Photo 133215801, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures