Solitary Sandpiper

Since I got lots of pictures of Solitary Sandpipers last spring, I wanted to share another one. I suspect that all these guys are up north these days since they mostly migrate through New Jersey and the picture was from mid-May.

True to its name, this sandpiper was all alone, foraging along a slower part of the Raritan River. I was actually able to get closer to this bird than I expected, though I have to admit that I don't have a strong sense of how human-tolerant they are. Most of the ones I see tend to be a ways away so I assumed they simply were comfortable with me 100 feet or more away. Either the food was especially good in this spot, or the bird didn't perceive me as much of a threat.

May 13, 2021 at the Raritan River Greenway
Photo 132038048, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures