Hooded Merganser

Here's a Hooded Merganser I met a couple months ago. (Admittedly the meeting was at quite a distance.) This is a male; the females have the same body shape but have coloring in the light brown and tan. Though they're supposed to be in my area year round, I've only spotted them in the colder months: November - March.

Despite the name, the Hooded Merganser isn't considered a close relative of the Common Merganser; they're in different genera. I'm more likely to mix them up with the Bufflehead since both ducks have large white spots behind their eyes (though the Bufflehead wouldn't have the brown lower on the body).

I would have expected ducks to be pairing up around March, though this fella's closest companion was a male Wood Duck, with some Canada Geese a little further away. I don't see a lot of these ducks (iNaturalist lists them as "vulnerable"), so maybe he simply hasn't found a mate yet.

March 9, 2021 at the Raritan River Greenway
Photo 120275066, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures