Two Different Eastern Pondhawks, Two Different Appearances

On a trip to Sourland Mountain Preserve, I met these 2 Eastern Pondhawks. Unlike yesterday's post, I didn't see a mature male, a female, and an immature male on this trip, but I can show you a female and an immature male. (Mature males can be found here though.)

The 1st picture is of an immature male. Though you can still see a lot of the vibrant green that the immature Eastern Pondhawks of both genders have, but you can also see that the abdomen is beginning to turn the bright blue color that mature males develop.

June 15, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 300988992, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

The next picture is almost certainly a female Eastern Pondhawk. Although a close image of the tip of the abdomen is a little different than what the males would have, probably the only anatomic way of differentiating the genders. I'm not sure my picture is detailed enough for this differentiation. So why do I think this is a female? Well, this picture is of a dragonfly in flight and over water. I'm highly suspicious that I was only able to get this picture because a female was hovering over the water and regularly dipping the tip of her abdomen in the water; this is the way they deposit eggs in the water.

It's unlikely (but certainly not outside the realm of possibility) that an immature male was hovering in 1 spot over water, allowing me to take its picture. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

June 15, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 300989430, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures