Carolina Mantis Ootheca

I was asked if I knew what something odd-looking was at the Duke Farms green roof. While the species wasn't immediately obvious to me, I immediately knew it was an ootheca (OH-uh-THEE-kuh) of a praying mantis. This is mostly egg casing, though there were (or are) a bunch of eggs in there too.

It's not a Chinese Mantis or their Narrow-winged Mantis relatives [1] since their ootheca's are approximately as wide and they are long. That probably means it's a European Mantis or our native Carolina Mantis. Both will create oothecae of this shape, though the left-to-right stripes suggest to me that this is from a Carolina Mantis. The European Mantis should have the same general shape and ridges, but shouldn't have end-to-end stripes.

This is a slightly radical identification since the invasive mantises (Chinese, Narrow-winged, and European) are all larger than our Carolina Mantis, and the invaders have been out-competing our native ones (sometimes by actually eating the Carolina Mantises) [2].

May 14, 2023 at Duke Farms
Photo 292808006, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] I'm not confident of my ability to tell Chinese Mantises from Narrow-winged Mantises, 2 related species from Asia that are easily our largest common mantises.

[2] When I see mantises out in nature, they almost always turn out to be 1 of the invasive species. Of course, the larger size of the invasive mantises does make them easier to spot, which probably skews my belief in our mantis ratios.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures