Treed Baltimore Oriole

Looking back, I'm kind of surprised at all the Baltimore Orioles I met this past spring. Here's another 1, taken far enough from the others that I have almost complete confidence this is a new oriole [1].

I'm not sure I would have spotted this oriole if a couple birdwatchers hadn't notice him. A lot of times I'll see other people looking at something; it frequently but not always turns out to be something interesting [2].

I don't have a lot to add, but here's an 8 minute video that goes over stuff I may have forgotten to mention.

May 11, 2023 at Great Swamp
Photo 282421647, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] Sure, a Baltimore Oriole could fairly easily fly from Duke Farms or Delaware Raritan Canal up to Great Swamp, though given the acceptable habitat at those original locations, I'm not sure there's much motivation to do so.

[2] When people are looking at things I don't consider particularly interesting, it's usually because it's something that's very common, like someone fascinated with Japanese Barberry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures