Northern Watersnake's Home Gets Drained (Temporarily)

Bamboo Brook was draining some small pools last spring, and this resident Northern Watersnake wasn't crazy about it. I'm sure the pool [1] needs to be cleaned periodically so dirt doesn't slowly fill it, and potentially to rid it of unwanted plants.

While the watersnake probably didn't appreciate its favorite pool getting drained, it was a good opportunity for me. Many times when I'm trying to photograph them, the watersnakes are either partly obscured by vegetation or they simply jump/fall into the water and glide away from me. This watersnake simply had few options for hiding or fleeing from my camera.

I did tell some of the people who were cleaning the pool - I assume they were simply taking a break - about the snake, and she managed to scoop the snake (and some mud) up in a shovel and deposited it in the grass surrounding the pool [2].

May 8, 2023 at Bamboo Brook
Photo 282304330, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] This wasn't a swimming pool, at least not for people. On other visits I would lily pads and frogs in it.

[2] There were other pools a very short distance away. Though they might get their own cleaning later, today those other ponds looked like they'd be perfectly fine refuges for our snaky friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures