Mallards Ducking Out

One thing I try and do with I'm about to come out into the open is to have my camera on autofocus with maximum magnification, and sometimes even turn the camera on before breaking cover. This way if some animal sees me and attempts to run/hide/fly, I have a chance of getting a picture of them anyway [1]. That's probably what happened when I photographed these Mallards who clearly didn't want to be in the same vicinity as me [2].

Although I say I try to do this, I still get surprised a lot. A couple weeks ago I missed a shot of a muskrat because it swam around the bend before I turned on my camera and was ready for action.

One good thing about a picture like this is it shows off the purple on their wings pretty well; when standing/swimming I'll usually just get glimpses of it. 

February 21, 2023 at Duke Farms
Photo 264701989, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] Autofocus is notorious for focusing on the wrong thing, so this doesn't always work.

[2] I don't really take it personally that so many animals flee from me as though I'm Godzilla. Most species have learned that we're at least a potential threat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures