End of the Trail

A little over a week ago I did something at Sourland Mountain Preserve that I hadn't done before: I got to the end of its Texas Eastern Pipeline Trail all the way to Long Hill Road. This isn't an especially impressive hiking feat, but instead speaks to trail conditions:
  • In the past there were spots where the vegetation would get pretty thick, enough that a machete would come in handy.
  • And there were also spots where things would get wet enough that I wasn't sure I could wade through it even with my nearly knee-high rubber boots. But our surprisingly dry spring made these areas fairly easily passable.
The trail is steep in parts, though near the end I seemed to be going up and down a lot. Besides getting to the end of the trail, it was a pretty good trip. Though most of the milkweed wasn't in bloom yet, a few early milkweeds and many of the dogbanes were in bloom, so there were lots of pollinators out there. And although there weren't a lot of odonates around, there was 1 big exception: Common Whitetail dragonflies were very abundant.
June 15, 2023 at Sourland Mountain Preserve


The red X marks the end of the trail.

Sourland Mountain Preserve Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures