February Turtles

Since today is World Turtle Day, I'm contractually obligated to talk about turtles today. 😄🐢

Though back in April I showed you some Spiny Softshell Turtles from this year, they were not the 1st turtles I saw or photographed this year. I had actually started to see turtles basking in fairly early February, albeit only on unusually warm days. Among the first I saw were 2 of our most frequently seen basking turtles, a few Eastern Painted Turtles and a Northern Red-bellied Cooter.

Though sea turtles can migrate, our turtles hibernate underwater, slowing their metabolism, and using cloacal respiration and anaerobic respiration. Anaerobic respiration sounds like what kicks in when, as the winter progresses, the water slowly becomes depleted of oxygen. While it can keep a turtle alive, it sounds like they'll experience the equivalent of muscle cramps with that form of respiration. I suspect this means that they're anxious to get out of the water to breathe as soon as the temperatures rise. I believe I've seen turtles basking in part of this canal even though some other parts of the canal still had thin/flimsy ice (though the air temperature was well above freezing).

AFAIK they don't suffer if they need to return under the water if colder weather returns (though I'm not certain of that).

Eastern Painted Turtle
February 10, 2023 at the Raritan Water Power Canal
Photo 263680207, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

Northern Red-bellied Cooter
February 10, 2023 at the Raritan Water Power Canal
Photo 263680866, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures