Belted Kingfisher on a Prominent Exposed Perch

Admittedly this isn't a photo that'll make National Geographic envious, but (if I recall the encounter correctly) it came out reasonably well considering the distance the Belted Kingfisher was to me. My Sibley Guide to Birds says they're "uncommon but widespread", and their range certainly qualifies as widespread; they can be found throughout most of the US, Canada, and Mexico. In my area I don't think I'd call them uncommon; I think I'd go with something like "fairly commonly heard, less frequently seen, with many of the sightings consisting of seeing the bird flying away".

My guide also says they can be found "on a prominent exposed perch", and this female (note the brown band around the belly) seems to be in exactly that kind of spot. (Despite their tendency to perch, they are not "perching birds", a term that's (usually) used to describe passerines.)

I've talked before about how these birds are not only difficult to spot, but when they raise the alarm with their call, they also alert all the other waterfowl that I'm around. I suspect that watchful kingfishers have thwarted my attempts to get pictures of herons, ducks, shorebirds, etc. on numerous occasions. (Kingfishers hate us "bird paparazzi".) 

These birds specialize in catching/eating small fish, though small crustaceans, mollusks, reptiles, and amphibians are potentially on the menu. They'll occasionally plant material like berries, but it's far from being their go-to food.

January 26, 2023 at Duke Farms
Photo 263365052, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures