Grass Spider

Here's someone for whom I haven't gotten an ID. I'm suspicious that it's a Pennsylvania Funnel-web Spider, and have gotten iNaturalist IDs suggesting I've got the right genus: Agelenopsis. I'm a little surprised I can't get a species ID since my field guide [1] suggests that the similar-looking funnel web spiders don't live in New Jersey.

The webs of these spiders aren't sticky. It sounds like the idea is that if an insect lands there, vibrations alert the spider that a meal is a real possibility; the spider sprints out, gauges the risks/rewards, and potentially attacks. This seems to be a compromise between web-catching spiders and spiders that stalk prey; these spiders stay at home but use speed to catch dinner.

September 7, 2022 at Washington Valley Park
Photo 248393232, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] Common Spiders of North America, Bradley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures