Unicorn Clubtail

Unicorns (or at least Unicorn Clubtail dragonflies) may be more common than I realized; I got my 2nd picture of one last month. The first one I showed you looked darker/plainer than most pictures I've seen online and in my field guides, but had the "unicorn point" field mark that pretty much identifies them.

In today's picture I've got almost the opposite situation; the coloring looks more like outside pictures, though it's even harder to detect the "unicorn horn" (though I think I've convinced myself that it's there when I blew up the original picture).

June 15, 2022 at Sourland Mountain Preserve
Photo 210217557, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

There does seem to be a small point in the lime green between the eyes when I expand the picture. (The main problem I have with using it as a field mark is that I can rarely get this good a look at a dragonfly when I'm in the field and can only use it after processing the photos at home.)
Expanded view




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures