Dark-eyed Junco

I know I showed a Dark-eyed Junco fairly recently, but this picture came out pretty good so you're getting another one. Since I did discuss them recently, I'll talk about the picture instead.

In most pictures male Dark-eyed Juncos will look more like a pure gray, but this one has almost a slightly bluish look to it. I'm not sure why this is. It's possible that when I processed the photo - I take pictures in "raw" mode and then use software to create JPGs or PNGs - I accidentally changed the color, but I think it's more likely that this is a case when you can get somewhat nonstandard coloring in certain lighting. When you're trying to ID birds, flowers, insects, you probably shouldn't fixate on finding a color match since sometimes the color can look a little off. Paying attention to the shape and patterns is probably more important for many identifications. Location and season are often very important too.

October 21, 2021 at Duke Farms
Photo 168431097, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures