Bald-faced Hornet

Here's someone that's certainly around central NJ (and most of the 48 contiguous states): the Bald-faced Hornet. Being closer to white than yellow, building above-ground nests, and being slightly larger than some other yellowjackets is probably why they have "hornet" in their name despite not being hornets. The other reason for the misnaming is that yellowjackets and hornets are fairly close relatives that look pretty similar. I actually looked for a good online article on the differences between yellowjackets and hornets, and most of the ones I found said things that were wrong. This video isn't scientific, but AFAIK it's accurate (though the chicken/squirrel stuff at the end is a little off topic).

These wasps build many of the large papery nests that you'll frequently see hanging from trees once the leaves fall [1]. In many cases I'll find that I had been walking near their nests all summer without being harassed by them. If you're not perceived as a threat to the nest, I don't think they're usually going to bother you, though they can provide a fairly painful sting if they do attack.

I am a little surprised that I found this wasp on feces. My understanding is that they'll feed on carrion or live insects, and will gather nectar for their larva to eat, but it's less clear what they're getting from feces. Some theories are:

  1. Water. Fresh feces may not be liquid, but if it's moist it could be a water source for wasps.
  2. Food. If the animal creating the feces ate meat, the wasp could be drawn there to get partially digested meat. If the animal creating the feces ate something sugary, the wasp could be collecting sugars.
  3. Hunting. These wasps do eat other insects. Perhaps this is just a good hunting ground for other insects drawn to the feces.

August 16, 2021 at Mt Pleasant Villas
Photo 167838109, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)

[1] European Hornets (a true hornet) and Common Aerial Yellowjackets build similar nests around here, though I think I mostly see Bald-faced Hornet nests myself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures