Confrontational Red-winged Blackbird

Back in early June, this Red-winged Blackbird was sizing me up. These birds are pretty close to harmless, though if they mistake you for a predator that's a threat to their nest-bound young they could dive at you. Unfortunately sometimes a nest is close enough to a trail/path I've been attacked briefly. (I survived.)

I'm pretty sure there were multiple males involved in the attack. Though the males are archrivals in mating season, it does appear the Red-winged Blackbird community will band together if the threat is considered grave enough, like if I'm walking by with my camera. (I've also seen them harassing an actual threat, driving a Great Blue Heron away from their nest.)

In this particular case, I think that I escaped with nothing more than a cold stare from this male. He was certainly mentally prepared for an escalation though.

June 2, 2021 at Negri Nepote Native Grassland Preserve
Photo 136367420, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures