Potential Red-eared Slider Mom?

In basically the same spot I met the Northern Red-Bellied Cooter laying eggs, I met a Red-eared Slider that was surveying the same area. This turtle didn't seem to be looking to leave Great Falls Lake for another lake, so I'm very suspicious this was another female looking for a desirable spot to lay eggs of her own.

You should be able to see the red spot behind the eye that identifies the turtle as a Red-eared Slider.

I didn't stick around to confirm this suspicion. While the Northern Red-bellied Cooter was in the process of laying eggs and thus committed to the spot she was in, it's at least possible that my presence might have caused the turtle to decide to go somewhere else to lay her eggs. 

Red-eared Sliders lay 3-17 eggs, or 2-30 eggs, depending on what source you're using. The number of eggs correlates to the size of the turtle. The turtle eggs hatch in 59-112 days, and apparently are influenced by temperature and rainfall. My impression is that we've had a fairly hot and slightly wet summer; I'm guessing any eggs would be hatching around the middle of August.

May 28, 2021 at Duke Farms
Photo 133214948, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures