Waterfowl Relations

One fairly common sight is to see Canada Geese and Mallards swimming around together. Generally speaking, my impression is that most waterfowl coexist together fairly well - though I've heard that Mute Swans may be an exception - and these two very common species are a good example. My impression is that waterfowl gather together primarily for safety; extra eyes means they're less susceptible to a surprise attack.

In the winter I'll see fairly big flocks or Ring-necked Ducks with some American Black Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, and/or Buffleheads mixed in too. And last fall I saw a grebe (neither a duck nor a goose but with a similar lifestyle) that seemed to like to hang with whatever ducks happened to be around.

I found an article on their interactions, though it talks about their differences as much as their interactions. 

March 9, 2021 at the Raritan River Greenway


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures