Green Frog

Here's a Green Frog I met at the Plainsboro Preserve almost a month ago. (At least I think that's a dorsolateral ridge I see, and not just a result of a frog in a peculiar position.) I've talked about these frogs before, so I'll just say that this little fella seems to be in an awkward position between a couple of sticks. I generally see these frogs in a prime "jumping position", with their limbs unencumbered if they need to move quickly. This guy looks like he'd have to reposition a little bit before being able to jump into the water.

On the other hand, the frog probably is positioned well have its head out of the water to potentially snag a tasty flying insect while still staying wet. This may be a case where the frog is in a good hunting position while at a slight disadvantage if it becomes the hunted. Just like all of us, animals sometimes need to compromise safety to be in a better position to succeed.

April 28, 2021 at the Plainsboro Preserve
Photo 128319472, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures