Cabbage White Butterfly

Here's a Cabbage White Butterfly I met. I'm not exactly sure what they're eating this time of the year (I doubt if farmers have their cabbage crop coming up yet), but they do eat a lot of plants in the cabbage/mustard family of plants. Right now they're dominating the butterfly scene around me. I've seen dozens of them, and maybe 3-4 of everything else.

Despite having a fairly plain look, these are considered butterflies as opposed to moths. Still, these two insects are obviously related, and some people that appear knowledgeable consider all butterflies to be moths rather than a distinct group of insects. (Admittedly butterflies and moths have a common ancestor.)

April 3, 2021 at Duke Farms
Photo 120284772, (c) jpviolette, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Watersnake

Female Brown-headed Cowbird

Rooftop Turkey Vultures